Ruzizi Tented Lodge
Although a well proven concept elsewhere in Africa, this tented Lodge is the first of its kind in Rwanda.
Ruzizi is built on the shores of Lake Ihema, Rwanda’s second largest lake, in a tract of unique dry forest.
Ruzizi Tented Lodge was started in January 2012 and completed for opening in October 2012. The Lodge
was designed and built by the Park Management and locally employed builders and labourers. Where
possible, materials were sourced locally to further contribute to the local economy.
There are only 7 tents, allowing a maximum of 14 guests, contributing to a quiet an intimate retreat.
Each tent has its own en-suite bathroom with hot and cold running water, a dressing area and either
comfortable queen or ¾ twin beds, with a small patio at the front and accessible by wooden boardwalks.
A thatched central reception is made up of a lounge bar and dining. A large deck with a fireplace sits
under a shady fig tree overlooking Lake Ihema.
The Lodge is entirely powered by solar energy and the lodge prides itself on being environmentally
Although treated as a separate business in its own right, Akagera Management Company manages the
Lodge, in addition to the entire park. The Lodge was built as part of a Tourism Development Plan in
order to increase park revenue for the protection and conservation of the park as a whole. More
information about the Park Management and conservation activities in Akagera can be found further on
For more info please click here
Akagera Game Lodge
Akagera Game Lodge is another accommodation option within Akagera National Park. It has fantastic views over Lake Ihema, with a large swimming pool perched on the edge of the savannah. However, plans to upgrade and expand were been put on hold due to the recession, and the site is dotted with unfinished buildings. At present, fewer than half its rooms are in use, although we understand that work is expected to recommence soon.
- Decorated with a charming African flair, each studio contains two beds writing desk, chair and satellite TV.
- All rooms have been individually interior designed along pan-African themes.
- The shoebill Restaurant with its charming atmosphere serves exquisite cuisine in the form of a la carte or Buffer meals for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
- The elephant Bar and Lounge, adjacent to the shoebill Restaurant, provides guests with a retreat from the heat by day.
- Facilities include a restaurant, bar, a swimming pool, a tennis court, a conference room, and business facilities.